The Treaty Advancement Commission last month released a proposed Representative Body model. The Representative Body will be the key voice for Aboriginal people in the next phase of the Treaty process.
VTAC’s proposal includes:
- 17 elected seats, and 11 seats reserved for formally recognised Traditional Owner groups
- A dedicated voice for Elders to share their knowledge, and ensure cultural integrity
- Six voting regions to ensure each part of Victoria is represented
- Only Traditional Owners may be on the Body
- All Aboriginal people aged 16 and over living in Victoria being eligible to vote (in the region where they live)
- Voting in person, via post and online
- A gender quota to ensure a minimum level of female or non-male identifying representatives.
The proposed model was presented and discussed at the Elders Forum and Statewide Gathering held in late September, and feedback from the Aboriginal Community is invited via VTAC’s website over the next four weeks.
Last Updated: October 23, 2018 at 12:08 pm