Key Aboriginal organisations
Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation [GLAWAC]
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
GLAWAC is the Registered Aboriginal Party for the Western part of East Gippsland.
The RAP for the remainder of the municipality is undecided. See here for more information about Registered Aboriginal Parties.
Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Cooperative
Ph: (03) 5150 0700
37-53 Dalmahoy Street Bairnsdale Vic 3875
East Gippsland Aboriginal Arts Corporation Association
Ph: (03) 5153 1002
222 Nicholson St Bairnsdale VIC 3875
Lake Tyers Aboriginal Trust
Rules Road, Toorloo Arm
Vic 3909, Australia.
Tel: 03 5156 5475
Key Documents / Links
East Gippsland Shire Council Indigenous Culture and Heritage
East Gippsland Shire reported the following good practices in their response to the
2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey
and subsequent updates.
- Flies both the Aboriginal and the Torres Strait Island flags permanently in the Council Chambers and above the Town Hall
- Uses local Aboriginal language to name places and projects
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with the Local Indigenous Network
- Engages with the local Reconciliation Group
- Includes specific Aboriginal policy statements in the Council Plan
- Supports Aboriginal arts and culture by: Displaying artworks in Council premises and holding exhibitions
- Has a documented local Aboriginal history
- Has facilitated naming of local sites in recognition of Aboriginal people
- Has Aboriginal specific library programs
- Supports local Aboriginal economic development
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
Last Updated: May 22, 2018 at 2:28 pm