Key Aboriginal Organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Key Documents / Links
Glen Eira City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Network
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Indigenous-specific HACC services
- Works with local agencies to support Indigenous young people
- Supports local Indigenous economic development
- Procures goods and services from Indigenous businesses
- Art work, speaking engagements
- Is involved in local Indigenous tourism
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated the use of Aboriginal language to name sites
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 3:01 pm