Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Wadawurrung Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation
86 Mercer St, Geelong VIC 3320 – Ph: 5222 5889
99 Mair St East, Ballarat VIC 3350 – Ph: 4308 0420
Wathaurong Aboriginal Co-operative
62 Morgan Street, North Geelong VIC 3215
PO Box 402 North Geelong VIC 3216
Ph: (03) 5277 0044
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Key Documents / Links
The Shire of Golden Plains reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Uses Aboriginal languages to name projects or places
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Indigenous young people
Last Updated: August 25, 2020 at 2:25 pm