Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Wathaurong Glass & Arts
Ph: (03) 5272 2881
Narana Aboriginal Cultural Centre
Ph: (03) 5241 5700
Shane Bell | 03 5564 8880 | email@example.com
Soundfile: Why flying the flag is important – Corrina O’Toole, Wathaurong Aboriginal Coop
Key Documents / Links
The Greater Geelong City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal Flag permanently and on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs a full time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has a Reconciliation Action Plan
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Has Aboriginal-specific HACC services
- Supports local Aboriginal economic development
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
City of Greater Geelong holds an annual National Reconciliation Week Projection Event on the Town Hall Facade
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 3:00 pm