Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
142 Firebrace Street, Horsham VIC 3400
Ph: 03 5381 0977
Wurega Aboriginal Corporation
21 Edward St, Horsham VIC 3400
Ph: 0458 672 176
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Key Documents / Links
Horsham Rural City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently in Council Chambers and above the Town Hall
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Runs Indigenous specific youth programs
- Works with local agencies to support Indigenous young people
- Procures goods and services from Indigenous businesses
- Is involved in local Indigenous tourism
Last Updated: August 25, 2020 at 2:32 pm