Key Aboriginal Organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Key Documents / Links
Indigo Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently
- Flies the Torres Strait Islander flag on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Involves Indigenous young people in programs
- Is involved in local Indigenous tourism
Last Updated: August 25, 2020 at 2:32 pm