Key Aboriginal Organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Key Documents / Links
Indigo Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently
- Flies the Torres Strait Islander flag on special occasions
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Involves Indigenous young people in programs
- Is involved in local Indigenous tourism
Last Updated: October 9, 2018 at 12:03 pm