Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Inter-Council Aboriginal Consultative Committee
Phone: 03 9581 4809
Key Documents / Links
Kingston City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently and on special occasions in Council Chambers
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has an Aboriginal engagement/consultation policy
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Supports local Aboriginal economic development
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 3:16 pm