Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation [GLAWAC]
27 Scriveners Road (Forestec) Kalimna West VIC 3909
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
Ramahyuck District Aboriginal Corporation
15 -17 Collins Street cnr Buckley Street, Morwell Vic 3840
Ph: (03) 5136 5100
Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Corporation (GEGAC)
162 Commercial Road, Morwell Vic 3840
The Gathering Place
99 Buckley Street, Morwell Vic 3840
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Key Documents / Links
Latrobe City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies both flags permanently in Morwell, Moe, Traralgon and Churchill
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee, the Braiakaulung Advisory Committee
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Employs a part time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Has Indigenous-specific HACC services
- Involves Indigenous young people in programs
- Procures goods and services from Indigenous businesses
Last Updated: August 25, 2020 at 2:33 pm