Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Taungurung Land and Waters Council (Aboriginal Corporation)
37 High Street Broadford, Victoria 3658
Phone: (03) 5784 1433
Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation [GLAWAC]
27 Scriveners Road, Kalimna West, Victoria 3909, Australia
PO Box 1699 Bairnsdale, Victoria 3875, Australia
Ph: (03) 5152 5100
Please note that the information contained within the Aboriginal Community Profile was gathered in 2014. It is now out of date. A refresh of this data is currently being undertaken and the updated results will be available soon.
Key Documents / Links
Mansfield Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently at Council buildings
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has an Aboriginal engagement/consultation policy – included in Diversity Policy
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated the use of Aboriginal language to name sites
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
Last Updated: August 25, 2020 at 2:35 pm