Key Aboriginal Organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation
Level 1, Providence Building, Abbotsford Convent
1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford
Phone: (03) 9416 2905
Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation trading as Wadawurrung (Wathaurung)
PO Box 734, Ballarat VIC 3353
Ph: (03) 4308 0420
Key Documents / Links
City of Melton welcomes the Journey To Recognition, 2013
Melton City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies both flags permanently and on special occasions above the town hall
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs a full-time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has a Reconciliation Action Plan
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Involves Aboriginal young people in programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 3:44 pm