Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Njernda Aboriginal Corporation
86 Hare St, Echuca VIC 3564
Ph: (03) 5480 6252
Key Documents / Links
In partnership with Yenbena Training Centre and Rural Access, Moira Shire Council supports a Certificate II in Horticulture, to increase vocational educational opportunities for Aboriginal community members. As a result of this program Yenbena is investigating ways to create a sustainable community enterprise through selling produce from the community garden that the students established.
Moira Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag on special occasions above the Town Hall.
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Collects data on employee Aboriginal identity
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Has a general Employment policy that encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has an Aboriginal Action Plan
- Aboriginal Action / Inclusion Plan or similar
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Is involved in local Aboriginal tourism
Last Updated: October 15, 2019 at 3:06 pm