Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation
Level 1, Providence Building, Abbotsford Convent
1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford
Ph: (03) 9416 2905
These beautiful plaques are now displayed on over 40 Council buildings including the Civic Centre, Transfer Station, libraries, community centres and leisure centres.
Key Documents / Links
Wurundjeri Elder Uncle David Wandin at Five Mile Creek Reserve at the launch of MVCC’s Ceremonial Rock Circle at the Walk with Wurundjeri event. The local community was out in force to learn about the Wurundjeri, take part in activities and planting, and to help reintroduce the Murnong (yam daisy) to the area.
Moonee Valley City Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently in Council Chambers and above the Town Hall
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Provides candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Network
- Has a general Employment policy that encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Has a Reconciliation Action Plan
- Has a documented Aboriginal history of the municipality
- Provides Aboriginal specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Works with local agencies to support Aboriginal young people
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 4:08 pm