Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
South Melbourne Town Hall
208-220 Bank St, South Melbourne, VIC 3205
Ph: 03 9537 2222
6 Bruce St, Mornington 3931
Ph: 03 5975 5000
Key Documents /Links
Mornington Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flags permanently and on special occasions in Council Chambers and at all Council sites.
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Provides local government candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Has an Aboriginal Advisory Committee or similar structure
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Aboriginal Networks
- Engages with the Local Reconciliation Group
- Employs Aboriginal staff
- Employs a full time Aboriginal Liaison Officer
- Encourages employment of Aboriginal people
- Provides cross cultural awareness training to staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Indigenous specific commitments in Council strategic documents
- Has a Reconciliation Action Plan
- Has an Aboriginal engagement/consultation policy
- Provides Indigenous specific funding
- Provides support for Aboriginal arts and culture
- Has facilitated use of Aboriginal language to name sites.
- Includes Aboriginal content in whole of community events
- Runs NAIDOC activities
- Runs Reconciliation Week activities
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Indigenous specific programs
- Has Indigenous-specific HACC services
- Provides Aboriginal specific maternal and child health responses
- Runs Indigenous specific youth programs
- Involves Indigenous young people in programs
- Works with local agencies to support Indigenous young people
- Promotes Aboriginal businesses
- Procures goods and services from Indigenous businesses
Last Updated: January 24, 2020 at 4:19 pm