Key Aboriginal organisations
For information about formally Recognised Traditional Owners visit Aboriginal Victoria’s interactive map and search the Local Government Area name [e.g. LGA: Ballarat] or a street address. You can also refer to Aboriginal Victoria’s Welcomes and Acknowledgements Protocol.
Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation, trading as Wadawurrung (Wathaurung)
99 Mair Street East, BALLARAT VIC 3350
Ph: (03) 4308 0420
Kuuyang Marr Aboriginal Corporation
Key Documents / Links
In 2015, the Surf Coast Shire, together with funding from Victorian Government’s Regional Growth Fund, completed the Spring Creek Critical Links Project. It features upgraded facilities including interpretative signage that celebrates local indigenous culture, biodiversity, flora and fauna, ecological processes, the water cycle and season.
The Surf Coast Shire Council reported the following good practices in their response to the 2012 Victorian Local Government Aboriginal Engagement and Reconciliation Survey and subsequent updates.
- Flies the Aboriginal flag permanently
- Flies the Torres Strait Islander flag on special occasions above the Town Hall
- Engages with Traditional Owners
- Acknowledges Country
- Arranges Welcome to Country
- Uses Aboriginal language to name projects or places
- Provides local government candidate information to Aboriginal people
- Engages with local Aboriginal organisations
- Engages with Local Indigenous Networks
- Provides cross cultural awareness training for staff and/or Councillors
- Includes Aboriginal specific commitments in Council Strategic documents
- Provides support for Aboriginal art and culture
- Organises Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Festivals and NAIDOC activities
- Has facilitated the use of Aboriginal language to name sites
- Supports or organises events that celebrate Aboriginal culture
- Has worked with RAP to protect local significant sites.
- Has worked with RAP to build greater community awareness.
- Library has Aboriginal specific programs
- Procures goods and services from Aboriginal businesses
Last Updated: October 16, 2018 at 11:09 am