“Don’t keep history a mystery – Learn. Share. Grow.”
Sunday 27 May – Sunday 3 June, 2018
NRW 2018 is a key activity in the Reconciliation Movement’s strategy to support Australians in making progress in the reconciliation dimension Historical Acceptance. This dimension addresses whether all Australians acknowledge the injustices and actions of the past and their impacts (both historical and contemporary) and are making amends for past wrongs.
This year, NRW invites Australians to Learn, Share, Grow – by exploring their past, learning more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and cultures and developing a deeper understanding of our national story.
What can you do?
Plan events that celebrate and build on respectful relationships shared by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians and that show how non-Aboriginal Australians can be active supporters of reconciliation. Some examples of events or activities you could plan for your community include:
- Public forums on Reconciliation (e.g. at the Town Hall or local library).
- Aboriginal heritage walks and cultural tours;
- Film screenings, festivals, concerts, poetry or book readings;
- Exhibitions, talks or performances by local Aboriginal artists, musicians, craftspeople or businesses;
- Supporting the permanent display of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags or banners where they haven’t been before;
- Reconciliation Breakfasts or festivals featuring indigenous cuisine;
- Dreamtime story-telling and displays in local schools, libraries, council offices or public spaces.
Reconciliation Week posters and online resources are now available via Reconciliation Australia’s website: www.reconciliation.org.au
We encourage you to promote your event via Reconciliation Australia’s online Reconciliation Week Calendar – please enter your event details here
Please note that Reconcilation Victoria is developing a new website and it will not include an online NRW2018 Calendar. To find an event near you visit the RA online Reconciliation Week Calendar
Last Updated: May 30, 2018 at 1:23 pm